Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Working on Entrance Door, creating own

I have decided after much deliberation just to create my own entrance door for the camper.  I had looked for months to find one that would fit the camper, that did not have windows, which was narrow enough to use for my required opening and one which the seller did not desire a small fortune for.  I found neither.  This door scene has been the absolute most stressful and highly irritating facet of the entire build. I can't understand the logic behind the costs of those camper doors.

So, I decided to pickup a piece of 3/4" plywood, a sheet of Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic and some contact cement.  Stay away from the waterbased Contact Cement if you can; complete waste of money. I lost on another project by ruining a glue-up by choosing to use the water based Contact Cement.  It simply did not work. 

The door was cut to fit my necessary opening and the Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) sheet was cut with aviation snips and glued.  The aviation snips work well on this stuff by the way, no splintering or splitting of the sheet while cutting.

I will be making fiberglass edging that will be mounted to the exterior of the door's edges.  This will serve to seal out the weather hopefully by compressing weatherstrip bulbing to be applied a little later on.  I plan on creating an internal jamb with weather stripping as well.  It is really difficult to locate the appropriate J-channel on the internet that will fit that is not 'gold'...really overrated the purpose it serves.

I may end up having to retrofit or replace the door with a better invention but for now this will have to work.

 
In order to make the fiberglass edging, I fastened fiberboard strips on the rear of the door.  I covered both the rear of door and these strips in wax paper so the polyester resin would not bond to either.  This setup will be used to lay five layers of fiberglass cloth upon to create my door's exterior edging.  The raised thickness of the high density fiberboard will serve to create an offset in the cured layers which will serve to accommodate the compression of 'bulb' type weatherstripping.  Did that just make sense?  LOL

  
Door has been hung now and these strips have been installed along the outside edges, which will serve as a means to keep out wind and rain. 


Door is hung, however not complete, has been insulated on the interior and now awaiting paneling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve your comments within a day or so at the latest. Please don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box so you will be notified when I reply to your comments.

Chris