Saturday, December 8, 2012

Onboard battery compartment box

Building a battery compartment box that will hold one of  those heavier marine grade deep cycle batteries.  Will fasten it to the front end of the camper and provide a vented door to ensure ol' Harrell boy lives to share some more blog posts with you guys.  Basically just built to accommodate a typical size deep cycle and to provide me with enough clearance for incoming and outgoing cables and for connection accessibility.     
Cutout for the battery compartment
Battery Compartment storage box
  Now that the box has been built and glassed, time to install.  I laid out for the hinge location and will be removing some of the polypropylene honeycomb to create a cavity that will accommodate fiberglass structural compound to be poured into.  When cured out and hardened, this region will then readily accept drilling and provide structural support to hold fasteners.
Laying out for hinge and bolt locations
chisel out comb to accommodate compound mixture


  Removed comb down to approximately 1-1.25" deep, then scraped the bonding agent off the fiberglass skin.  The bonding agent (green liner) is an agent that allows bonding of the glass skin to the polypropylene comb during manufacture.  Removing this, will allow bonding of the compound that i will pour into this cavity, to bond to the fiberglass. 

Removed enough comb to create a cavity conducive for accepting enough compound to structurally support 4 fasteners.
You can see that I added quite a bit of 1/4" fiberglass strands to the mixture, a good glass to resin ratio is imperative to prevent brittleness and cracking.  Also contains 1/32" milled fibers (are homogenous in mixture), and cabosil.  Preparing to apply glass cloth over this region and also the raw edges of this cutout.
 
Ok now the battery box has been installed.  Needing to glass cloth over the corners after the fill-in cures out and is ground accordingly.  Turned out to be very sturdy after glassing the box to the interior of the camper wall.  The protruding box sidewalls which protrude below the bottom of the box (see second photo from top) serve as support legs. 

now all sanded and prepped for primer
** update**
  The camper has been painted and the battery box has been completed.  Not the most aesthetically pleasing but it should work for me.  Upper and lower vents installed to ensure hazardous vapors can find a means of egress.
The compartment door was crafted from a piece of 3/4" plywood and covered in a coating of clear epoxy after which it cured thorougly, I painted it with marine grade Petit-EasyPoxy paint.  Thus, It should fight off the water and rot for awhile.  Mounted me an aluminum hinge and pop riveted a battery tray onto the fiberglass skin...should be in business

Hopefully no shifting in transit.



 For closure, being the surrounding region is composed of thin skinned panels, I made a little reinforcement strip out of aluminum to ensure the door latch, does indeed stay latched.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve your comments within a day or so at the latest. Please don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box so you will be notified when I reply to your comments.

Chris