Been working on the sidewalls. Matte finish panels are really not that bad to work with in regards to sanding. I have a sacrificial, finishing sander purchased from Harbor Freight to use for sanding the panels. It uses 1/3 of a sheet of sandpaper and usually takes 2 sheets to sand one side thoroughly.
Basically just knocking the matte luster off each side.
As far as cutting the panels to prepare for the 'birds nest' sleep overhang, I have the same issue as when attempting to gain 45 degree angular cuts on both sides of the vertical riser behind the cab. I can very easily obtain the needed angles in the appropriate direction on one side of the sheet. However, due to the orientation of blade-to-table on the circular saw cannot obtain the necessary angles on the other side.
So, to eradicate this one issue for the construction of the camper's sleep area, I have decided to go another route. In the bedding area region where the underside panel will be installed I have decided to cut out a swath on the interior of both side panels to accept the underside panel, without using angles here. I set my blade depth to keep exterior skin intact while cutting the swath to remove interior portion which will accept the width of a panel. Now just glass a piece of Nida Core into place in this area.
Later on will install a 1/8" x 3 x 3 aluminum angle to reinforce the sleep area's lower panel over this exact area.
The 4" grinder with standard grinding wheel worked well to cut through the polypropylene honeycomb underneath to release the strip, just cut. Then used a flap sander disc on the grinder to clean up the remains of polypropylene. [always wear leather gloves when using the flap sanding disc, just trust me..it will eat phalange flesh and with much ease]
Managed to get one of the side walls up and the glassed in this evening.
The weather has been so nice today with nighttime ambient temps around 75-77 degrees, for now! A tidbit humid but not too bad, so I decided to work right on up through nightshift to accomplish a little more progression.
Started cutting the side panel for the driver's side. Same issue as I have run into on some other occasions, no way to obtain the appropriate 45 degree angle I needed on this sheet. So what did I devise? Understanding that I am cutting lightweight material I decided to turn my blade around on the saw and pull the saw along the cut, instead of pushing, thereby rendering the necessary 45 that I needed.
Did i break any safety rules? "Absolutely!, Most all of them".
Did I obtain the much needed angle? "Yes indeed"
First I had to tie back the blade guard with bailing wire to keep it out of the way, turned the blade around backwards, and pulled- instead of pushing the saw. (laughing)
Was not that bad really, of course I would have never attempted this on thicker material or wood, but it did indeed work fine for composite panels. Just need a secure guide clamped in place to aid in the cut. Worked like a charm although it did induce more torque on the motor when used in this manner. Well this saw is a sacrificial saw purchased for this project anyway, not that I am desiring to destroy the saw, but the tool is to get the project completed. Understanding the havoc that fiberglass fibers wrought on stators and magnetos was the motive for the purchase. Do not want to ruin my better circular saw.
Now have both side walls up with the appropriate overhang needed to accommodate the construction of the camper sleep area. These two side portions of the camper were both cut from whole sheets so that cantilever physics can do its best work. I decided to reserve necessary splicing for the sidewalls, towards the end of the camper rather than in the sleep area region.
Awaiting the arrival of some more 1/32" Milled Fibers and Aerosil so that I can move on to the sleep area underboard install.