Friday, July 27, 2012

Mini Disaster occurred during recent thunderstorm

Unfortunately I do not possess the great fortunes of having a huge workshop to work on a project of this capacity.  So the build is being constructed outside.  Due to the overwhelming heat and humidity in North Carolina the past week or so, I could not tolerate standing in the direct sun while cutting and sanding.  Therefore, I temporarily erected my $130.00 festival tent to block the sun and to prevent resin from being destroyed from dew fall when working at night.

I had been watching the weather and understood we might be in for a severe thunderstorm within a couple of days. "No problem, I'll remove the tent in time."  In a perfect world this would have worked. 

But....my world isn't.

I was attending other matters at the time mother nature showed up, picking up my tent and camper and hurling it at my utility shelter.  "of course."

Good news:  The Nida Core panels were not damaged at all - tough stuff. 
Bad news:  My new $130 tent was destroyed

To reveal just how strong cured out fiberglass cloth layers are, the only seam holding the vertical riser panel in place is the butt splice seen in photo below.  This one seam supported this entire ordeal.  The panel never shifted and none of the corners were even lain.   


If you'll take notice really close - picture below - a large portion of the camper weight is on that butt splice and it there's not even the slightest hint of the inverted camper weight stressing that single layer joint. 
Inverted and painted the bottom with white, marine grade Pettit EasyPoxy. I originally wanted to spray the camper but without having a large shop, I settled for rolling with foam and mohair rollers.  Looks ok, but i must change brands of the mohair roller.

found a brand at Jamestown Distributors that supposedly work fairly well with this Pettit Easy Poxy leaving an orange peel effect. I can live with that, so I will more than likely be going that route.

This whole incident eased a few of the concerns I might have had about the overall strength of the panels and camper geometry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve your comments within a day or so at the latest. Please don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box so you will be notified when I reply to your comments.

Chris