Sunday, July 15, 2012

Constructing Camper's Slide-In Portion

I've been cutting the sheets for the slide-in portion of the camper and bonding them together.  All has went fairly well except the July heat and humidity has been putting a damper on my progress.

Fiberglassed, both the interior and exterior corners using structural fiberglass peanut butter, filleted in the inside corners then followed with three layers of cloth.  All lain while wet to obtain a better bond.  I am using a 7-8 ounce industrial weight cloth for the layup followed by a third, lighter 6 oz cloth 6" wide on top.

The interior corners are going along perfect; I've been obtaining really good bonds.  However, the exterior corners are leaving some air pockets which i will have to grind down later on, after cure out and rework.  There are a couple of spots which I noticed which would not lie down.  Those exterior corners are subjecting the cloths to a 90 degree bend whereas the interior corner has a radius fill of structural peanut butter.  This radius allows the cloth to gracefully change it's lay. 

I'll have to make some type of adjustment to my exterior corners.  Not sure just yet what i will do to resolve this issue, other than reworking after cure up.  I will find a solution and of course keep others current.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve your comments within a day or so at the latest. Please don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box so you will be notified when I reply to your comments.

Chris