Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Camper Tie Down System - HappiJac Tie downs

As you know from a previous post, I was deliberating on which Tie Down system to go with.  Since my build will end up inherently lighter than the commercial campers on the market, I was looking for a good system that would serve my lighter camper need.  I decided on HappiJac Tie Downs without the stabilizer bar (torsion bar). 

During my deliberation I discovered camper owners which utilize HappiJac Tie Downs without the stabilizer (torsion) bar and have not had any issues and they're toting much heavier campers than what mine will be.  My projected weights for the camper build currently are somewhere in the 600-700 lb range.  Significantly lighter than even the lightest slide-in truck camper on the market, 'in America.'  Europe and other places across the pond have all sorts of nifty campers but not in the US where Bigger is Better reigns.  

I'll use HappiJac Tie Down plates mounted on the front bed wall in conjunction with spring loaded turnbuckles designed to absorb movement, yaw, roll, etc;  Should ease my concerns about windshear also.

There are only a handful of tie down systems on the american market that I could find.  There you go for a niche business...go and make your millions. 

I found some on Craigslist for $40.00.  Can you believe that?  The great folks at Walter's Travel RV were such a great pleasure to work with.  They were originally $93.99, so I was enthused and they were shipped really fast.

In the days prior to their arrival in the mail, I contemplated how I would mount them without assistance.  I always need three hands but very seldom have.  To my utter amazement, the design engineer had implemented measures for the consideration of the 'one man install'.  I was floored!  The plates themselves were held momentarily in place by small self tapping screws while you mark and drill your holes in the front wall of the truck bed. Plus, there are no nuts to struggle with in such a tight space (between that cab wall and truck bed).  The plate had tapped holes...hooray!

Unbelievable.  HappiJac camper mounts made in America with only one difference, apparently designed by engineers which spent time afield with their product line, as all should.  Install was a breeze!  

Such a simple install:

  1. measure and locate plate in bed appropriately 
  2. screw backing plate onto bed momentarily using a small self tapping screw which is provided
  3. then drill 4 bolt holes (hands free)
  4. have wife hold the front plate in place
  5. simply thread bolts into tapped holes
   there you go, about a 7-10 minute install, now move to the other side of the bed


As for the rear mounts-- they get attached to the rear bumper - on the ends.  Looks like a 1/2" hole will have to be drilled through bumper.  The neat thing about these, when not in use, the turnbuckle attachment point easily removes from the bolt.  Simply slip them off when not under a load.


Throughout the years I have constructed and made various structures, mechanical and electrical forms and been exposed to more aggravation than I care to discuss when it comes to product installs.  I was held in deep appreciation by something as simple as a camper necessity because of the fore-thought that went into the design phase of these tie downs.  Most often engineers design systems that need modifications on the user end.  That was not the case with these camper mounts, thankfully.

Thanks to HappiJac for creating a stress free install. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve your comments within a day or so at the latest. Please don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box so you will be notified when I reply to your comments.

Chris