Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Locating Nida-Core Panels for purchase

I have finally made a composite panel choice for the build.  Amongst the myriad of composite panels on the market, I'm going with Nida-Core composite panels for the camper.  Locating the blog of another, which had been very successful in building their camper out of Nida-Core panels provided a number of answers to some of my questions and turned out to be the extra nudge I needed.  Being extremely short on research time, due to demands on my time elsewhere, I went with it.  

Nida-Core panel usage comes with high reviews.  It's work-ability and structural strength is intriguing; they build road beds in some parts of the world using this stuff...as well as flooring inside of sea vessels.  I really like that standard Polyester Resin for fiberglass readily bonds to the panels and doesn't harm the polypropylene honeycomb inert.  Therefore, anyone which is familiar with your run-of-the-mill polyester resin, catalyst, cabosil, glass bubbles and chopped 1/4" glass strands used in fiberglass work, can work this Nida Core into a very durable, structurally sound and dependable project.

So the purchase decision has been made, now I'm attempting to locate a distributor along the eastern seaboard.  

I contacted numerous boat building suppliers and warehouses for the resin industry strung across the nation.  I have not been receiving the news I need to hear.  Currently I am still working on locating a supplier.   Most distributors want to deal in bulk...they like the larger stacks of green.   

But- I'm continuing to strike away; I shall keep you posted whenever i contact a good source for supplying small orders. 

chris

update:  Nida-Core 3M panels are still sold by various outlets but the manufacture has been bought out by Composite Essential Materials.  See my blog post regarding that news 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve your comments within a day or so at the latest. Please don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box so you will be notified when I reply to your comments.

Chris